Friday, August 26, 2011

My new oxymoron life






I was recently called "a real-life oxymoron".  This happened shortly after I dismounted my bicycle after a 3 hour ride and a friend mentioned he heard that I had been eating only raw fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts.  Without pausing for me to answer, he rattled off several questions: "How can someone train hard for triathlons without eating meat or pasta?  How can you recover properly?  It is impossible you have energy for workouts and races.  How are you a raw foodist who does triathlons?  You are a real-life oxymoron.  Those two terms don't go together."
  
When one thinks of a triathlete one might imagine a dedicated individual who (when they are not swimming, biking, or running) eats copious amounts of chicken, fish, protein bars, and pasta.  On the flip side, the terms "raw vegan" or "raw foodist" usually equates to a hippy-dippy-trippy who snacks only on lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.

I've been inspired to start this blog as a testimonial that it is possible to be a triathlete who eats raw vegan food.  I hope to answer questions and skepticism, share basics like recipes and workouts, and reveal (in my self-deprecating fashion) my trial and errors, struggles, and successes.  :)
  


No comments:

Post a Comment