Monday, September 5, 2011

Dare greatly.



I have a confession to make:


I did not want to run in my 5 mile race this morning.  Not even a little bit.


The reason for this sudden bad attitude is three-fold:



1.  For the past few days I have been ignoring an injury.  At my hip flexor to be exact.  And I am confident this injury stems from overuse.  I am often bad at listening to my body when it tells me that I need to take it easy. So I simply push through pain.  I suppose that is a blessing and a curse.
  

2.  Last week I experienced some hurt and pain in my personal life that is still nagging me like a bad cold.  It's a long story and full of details that would make this post the antithesis of "cheerful, informative, and succinct".  But let me just say that when someone says hateful, hurtful things to me it brings my spirit down immensely.  Wishing I could be more like my little sister and not let silliness bother me so much.  She is one tough girl and I admire her for that.


3.  Only about 75% of my diet on Saturday and Sunday was fresh, organic, raw food.  My body has informed me on several occasions that it's upset with me.  Must go back to 100% raw vegan.  I'm craving it and ready to get back on track.  I went to bed last night lacking some confidence I would perform well since I reintroduced my system to cooked vegan food (and, don't judge me, some red wine with a side of wedding cake). 



Nevertheless, I had a debate with myself yesterday that lasted a good 3 hours as to whether or not I was going to run.  It went a little something like this (and yes I made a list).

Pros: My Dad and Jayne are coming to watch!; you are already registered; the race is for a good cause (Akron's pregnancy center); it's in the midst of a Christian family-friendly festival (talk about livening up my spirit); you can ask God for help!; this run will make you feel better; it's a much needed opportunity to not be down on yourself and think, pray, and be thankful.

Cons: I don't want to.  I just don't want to.  I'd rather stay in bed; I don't want to make my injury worse; if it starts hurting badly I'll have to slow my pace down significantly; my diet has been yucky the past two days; I can't stop thinking about nasty things that were said to me and would rather just sleep in; I just don't want to.


What I've found with this lifestyle is that it's just that: a lifestyle.  

My participation in races and eating raw vegan food is similar to my relationship with Jesus: it's something that I desire to pursue each day (accompanied with a great attitude) and not let life's struggles and hardships dictate how I feel at that moment.  Satan has a way of letting temporary pain and sadness really throw me off track and try to convince me to give up (and be stubborn.  I could use a little less stubbornness in my personality to be honest).  We are all called to make a loving and interesting journey from cradle to grave.  Wouldn't life be a lot less interesting to not make mistakes and get off track now and then?  It definitely gives me an opportunity to self-reflect and seek God.



If you haven't figured it out, I did run in the race, and finished quite well with an injury if I do say so myself (39:59...right at 8 minute miles).

And I did quiet my mind, think, and pray during the race.  It was really enjoyable.  And I loved having my Dad and Jayne there to cheer me on.  I even ran into my old cross country coach who is has always been full of vim and vigor and ever-encouraging.    


Lovely Jayne.



Isn't it funny how much I resemble my Dad?  


Coach Howard: cross country and track coach extraordinaire.  
"...if you fail, at least you can fail while daring greatly". FDR

No comments:

Post a Comment