Thursday, September 1, 2011

ipod schmipod.

I have quickly evolved into, without force or torture, what triathletes call a "workout purist".  It's a rather new term because it's referring to exercising without ipods, mp3 players, etc.  





During triathlons, ipods are not permitted for two reasons: safety, and an unfair advantage.  I do not complain about this policy because I happen to agree with both reasons.  It is nearly impossible to hear someone say "passing on your left" (which is the correct and considerate phrase to say when passing another racer) while on the bike with an ipod.  In addition, racers with music have the potential to be more motivated, pumped up, and all around less bored during the 26 mile cycle and 6.2 mile run.


I have third reason as to why I prefer to race and workout without music: it gives me the opportunity to quiet my mind and thank God.  For everything!  Not only for the fact that He blessed me with health and ability to compete, but for the simple realities that I take for granted every day.  These thoughts usually rattle off in my brain during runs and cycles: How blessed am I to have a warm bed and a roof over my head every night?!; I have an abundance of delicious and nutritious raw food to eat; I have wonderfully loving and supportive family and friends; and the classic: how neat is it that I'm able to swim, bike, and run?!  For a hobby!


A few months ago I cut out listening to my ipod altogether during workouts, and hence, became a "workout purist".  It was tough at first; cycling for 3 hours in silence really forces you to enjoy the sound of your own breathing (which is not terribly entertaining), and running for over an hour without the help of a catchy tune makes you notice the pounding of your feet on the pavement (which is even less entertaining).   As an added bonus, eating only raw foods has made my thoughts more clear and precise (which is an aberration for someone as scatterbrained as me). 


Cutting out music started out as practice for races.  But I quickly began to look forward to long runs, bikes, and swims simply for the fact that I could quiet my brain to think and pray.  How often in our over-articulated and over-technologized culture do we get to enjoy silence?  I think it's a lost art that needs to be resurrected from time to time.  I challenge you to practice being quiet this weekend; whether if it's not using music during a workout, or simply reading a book outside in nature. 


  
And if you're very lucky, racing without music also lets you hear the chants and cheers of loved ones who came to the race to support you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment