Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Coconuts, Hikes, & Sunshine



Is it just me, or is it incredibly satisfying to enjoy life's simple pleasures?


Exhibit A: I call this the trifecta breakfast: fresh-picked flowers, juicy watermelon, and the Living Word.







Exhibit B: I have a new Thursday tradition with my dear friend, Carrie!  We chit chat, catch up on life, and generally just build each other up while hiking in God's beautiful creation (usually somewhere in the Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park).  This park is my favorite location for a long hilly run, as well as hiking.  It's really hard not to smile at this place.  You can become blown away and simply in awe of how much God showers us with beauty in the world.




We usually bring our dogs along, too!  What a joy to watch them frolic about the park off their leashes (and swim after Canadian geese)!








Exhibit C: I have, what some might call, an unhealthy obsession with coconut.  If you would like to know a key to my heart: put coconut in anything and everything; salads, raw vegan desserts, on fruit.  I even use coconut oil as lotion (which I highly recommend!  I haven't bought lotion since I tried it a few months ago).  


So needless to say I have been a regular customer at Heinens where they sell whole coconuts for $1.50!  They are preferable over the bagged, shaved coconut for several reasons: there are no preservatives, they aren't coated with sugar, it's cheaper, the water inside the coconut can also be used, and it's a super fun afternoon project to crack them open!  Or maybe I just enjoy using a hammer...










I am planning on rolling raw organic dates in this freshly grated coconut.  It's my favorite pre-workout pick-me-up!


I hope you can enjoy life's simple pleasures today.  :)






1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I wondered if I could shred my own coconut, as to avoid the extra sugar, but I figured whole coconuts were outside of my price range. Gonna check out Heinens asap. I'm in North Royalton, so Heinen's is close in both directions. I love your photos of the metro parks. Beautiful. I want to get there a few more times this year than last year. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments. I always love encountering fellow believers in my area too! I am a bit in awe of your physical prowess. I was pumped when I ran sub-12 minute miles!

    ReplyDelete